OBHAG members were kindly guided around Sycharth Castle by Emyr and Carys Evans of the Llanslin Local History Society .
The original motte and bailey timber castle was possibly built before 1100 but
nothing is known of the site's history until the late 14
century. It is best known as the early home of the last Welsh Prince of Wales
Owain Glyndŵr. His impressive house was built on top of the moated mound
in 1390 and only lasted until 1403 when Prince Henry (later
) burnt it
to the ground.
Court poet and bard,
has left us some vivid descriptions of the
splendour enjoyed by Sycharth's top residents and guests. An account of a
visit to Sycharth by George Borrow including his translation of Iolo Goch can
now be read online
Wild Wales Chapter 66